Rediscover Gujarat. Rediscover the Gujarati in you !!


Channels : Free Home Pages | Chat | Discussion Board | Graffiti | Music | Reminder Services | Calendar | Horoscope | Dating | Weather | Matrimonial | Jobs

Info

City Guides | City News | Education | Festivals | Food | Greetings | Earthquake fact file | Home

August 8, 2001 - August 8, 2001

JAMNAGAR:::: Mehta denies HIV blood given to Jamnagar boy Wednesday, August 8, 2001

TIMES NEWS NETWORK
GANDHINAGAR: State health minister Suresh Mehta on Monday took strong exception to the manner in which the calling attention motion was raised by Congress member Usmangani Devdiwala regarding the deteriorating health condition of a thalasemia patient after he was allegedly administered blood of an HIV-positive donor in Jamnagar.


As Mehta tried to draw the attention of the chair towards the incident which had occurred in December last, Opposition members said that when the speaker had admitted the motion for debate the minister should not challenge the speaker's decision.


To this Mehta asserted that he wanted to focus the attention of the House tom the fact that the state government has already clarified the matter after it was highlighted by the media in Saurashtra.

He said a matter raised in the Assembly has to be of urgent nature, and should concern people at large and not just an individual as had been done here. "There are no ingredients of a calling attention motion in this case," he said.


Unmindful of the ruckus by Congress members, Mehta continued to rap the Opposition for raising the issue for the sake of publicity and sought a ruling from the Speaker. Amidst heated arguments, Mehta told the House that the patient was not given HIV-infected blood, and that there was no question of negligence and punitive action against any officials.


Mehta said the patient's father was given three bottles of blood by a blood bank in Jamnagar, which had collected it from a donation camp jointly organised by Guru Govindsingh Hospital and J H Hathi Memorial Blood Bank. Of these, one bottle which contained HIV-positive blood was immediately destroyed, while the blood from two bottles was given to the patient.

News Source : Times Of India News Service [ Lightning News ]


Voice your opinion on this story Generate printer friendly page Send this page to your friend

Mehta denies HIV blood given to Jamnagar boy Wednesday, August 8, 2001

TIMES NEWS NETWORK
GANDHINAGAR: State health minister Suresh Mehta on Monday took strong exception to the manner in which the calling attention motion was raised by Congress member Usmangani Devdiwala regarding the deteriorating health condition of a thalasemia patient after he was allegedly administered blood of an HIV-positive donor in Jamnagar.


As Mehta tried to draw the attention of the chair towards the incident which had occurred in December last, Opposition members said that when the speaker had admitted the motion for debate the minister should not challenge the speaker's decision.


To this Mehta asserted that he wanted to focus the attention of the House tom the fact that the state government has already clarified the matter after it was highlighted by the media in Saurashtra.

He said a matter raised in the Assembly has to be of urgent nature, and should concern people at large and not just an individual as had been done here. "There are no ingredients of a calling attention motion in this case," he said.


Unmindful of the ruckus by Congress members, Mehta continued to rap the Opposition for raising the issue for the sake of publicity and sought a ruling from the Speaker. Amidst heated arguments, Mehta told the House that the patient was not given HIV-infected blood, and that there was no question of negligence and punitive action against any officials.


Mehta said the patient's father was given three bottles of blood by a blood bank in Jamnagar, which had collected it from a donation camp jointly organised by Guru Govindsingh Hospital and J H Hathi Memorial Blood Bank. Of these, one bottle which contained HIV-positive blood was immediately destroyed, while the blood from two bottles was given to the patient.

News Source : Times Of India News Service [ Lightning News ]


Voice your opinion on this story Generate printer friendly page Send this page to your friend

Surat corporators to apprise CM of transport woes Wednesday, August 8, 2001

TIMES NEWS NETWORK
SURAT: Weekends and holidays for many a Surti are becoming forced confinement within the four walls. Reason: the sheer number of road users during peak hours on weekdays and evenings on holidays. The city witnesses an ever-increasing number of traffic jams and for many it has been a better option to stay indoors than to venture out --- a favourite pastime for ages for the citizens.


Despite widening of roads and setting up several traffic islands and building two bridges across Tapi and three flyovers in the city (the fourth one being constructed at Varachha), around 7.65 lakhs of registered vehicles often find the road space very congested.


Besides, lack of a public transport system has been a major factor for manifold increase in the number of private vehicle users in the city. So civic authorities have been toying with idea of introducing an effective system to provide commuters comfortable and speedy options.


According to mayor Ajay Choksi, a meeting with chief minister in this regard was planned at Gandhinagar last week but due to certain unavoidable reasons, this could not take place. Civic authorities and corporators will meet government officials shortly, he added.


Choksi told The Times of India that compared to other cities, Surat is far behind so far as the public transport is concerned. When asked, he admitted that very little has been done to develop a viable transport system. The GSRTC fleet does not suffice numberwise to cater to the commuters in the city. In the past, the Surat Municipal Corporation was given an option to avail the facilities of the GSRTC for a public transport system but that was not possible due to logistic and other reasons, he stated.


"On our part, we are serious in developing a transport system in this city at the earliest. We want private agencies to be allowed to run the transport under certain regulations regarding fare and routes and the frequency of the trips," he said.


He added that a smooth traffic system was essential in view of the increase in population and the number of road users. An effective mechanism could make the traffic flow smooth. Even the pollution and associated environmental problems would be automatically taken care of, he stated.


The `Vision 2010' for the city envisages a well integrated public transport system, Choksi remarked.


As part of infrastructural development, Rs 10 crore is to be spent this year on surfacing the Ring Road and the Raj Marg in the old city. From next year, there would be separate budgetary provision for surfacing roads in other localities, Choksi added.

News Source : Times Of India News Service [ Lightning News ]


Voice your opinion on this story Generate printer friendly page Send this page to your friend

Payment seat case order suspended till Aug 10 Wednesday, August 8, 2001

TIMES NEWS NETWORK
VADODARA: A city court ruled in favour of the M S University of Baroda in the commerce faculty payment seats case on Monday and rejected plaintiffs Narendra Tiwari and Bhomnath's injunction order against the MSU.


However, the ruling has been suspended till August 10 as Tiwari and Bhomnath sought to challenge the order in the district court. So MSU can not collect fees from FYBCom applicants.


Senate member Tiwari and Bhavani Sena city chief Bhomnath had in an injunction application urged the court to restrain the MSU from collecting fees till the case is settled.


The court had granted a stay order and deferred the hearing till August 6.

Tiwari had filed Public Interest Litigation (PIL) against payment seat system in commerce faculty. He had argued that the MSU was not justified in hiking the fees in the guise of self-finance scheme for a general faculty like commerce. Moreover the MSU had enough funds and was unnecessarily taxing students. Later, he had alleged that two students had got admission at M K Amin Arts, Science and Commerce college, better known as Padra College, despite getting low marks. However, no application about the so-called 'two wrong' admission in Padra college was submitted in court.

News Source : Times Of India News Service [ Lightning News ]


Voice your opinion on this story Generate printer friendly page Send this page to your friend

Payment seats decision back to MSU syndicate for rethink Wednesday, August 8, 2001

TIMES NEWS NETWORK
VADODARA: MS University authorities on Tuesday decided to reconsider the payment seats decision, following a heated debate on the subject at MSU senate meeting.


The meeting was adjourned for the day with several senate members vociferously demanding that the scheme be revoked, and an alternative source of funding for accommodating more students be found.


Accordingly, a special syndicate meeting has been called at 11 am on Wednesday to discuss the payment seats issue and work out a solution. Later, the senate meeting will be organised at 2 pm and a final solution to the scheme arrived at.


Leading the anti-payments scheme lobby during the Tuesday's senate meeting, Narendra Tiwari said the scheme was not fair on students as MSU has an overall fund of Rs 7.35 crore in various forms, such as the diamond and silver jubilee funds.


He said the university has collected Rs 50 lakh as development charge. "All these can be used to overcome the current problem and the entire batch of students who have applied should be accommodated," he said.


Significantly several senate members who supported the payments scheme earlier were conspicuous by their absence in the meeting called on Tuesday. Those who were present felt that as the scheme seemed to have invited opposition from the public, a rethink should be considered.


After the meeting was adjourned senate member Cassim Unia said, "Though a rethink is necessary, some sort of payments scheme would be necessary. Without money, the MSU cannot impart quality education to the large number of students. We have to think of an alternative. One of these could be increasing the over all fee structure of the entire university," he said.


He said those who are opposing the payments scheme should give suggestions to resolve the matter. "The use of the golden jubilee and other funds for accommodating more students is not a practical solution," he said.


Speaking during the meeting MSU students' union general secretary Bharat Dangar said the university authorities had given agitating students the short shrift. The students had maintained utmost calm and patience during the agitation. He said the authorities had initiated police action against them and treated them as criminals.


"We did not in any way tarnish the image of the university. We merely expressed our opposition to the scheme and did not resort to any violence. But many of our students were mistreated by the police and there were more police in the campus than students during our agitation," he said.


Meanwhile, members of the All India Democratic Student's Organisation and several other students organisations, including Saket- the Friends Society, demonstrated outside the university office, requesting senate members to support their demand to scrap the payments scheme in the MSU faculty of commerce.


MSU students' union vice-president Parth Joshi said they were happy that the payments scheme issue had been referred back to the syndicate. "We appreciate the senate for backing us on this issue," he said.

News Source : Times Of India News Service [ Lightning News ]


Voice your opinion on this story Generate printer friendly page Send this page to your friend

Gujarat | Pharmacy SEO | Copyright 2000-2006
 A eZee Web Solutions Presentation !

E-mail - webmaster@cybervapi.com
GSM - 9825130401