Rediscover Gujarat. Rediscover the Gujarati in you !!


Channels : Free Home Pages | Chat | Discussion Board | Graffiti | Music | Reminder Services | Calendar | Horoscope | Dating | Weather | Matrimonial | Jobs

Info

City Guides | City News | Education | Festivals | Food | Greetings | Earthquake fact file | Home

April 8, 2001 - April 9, 2001

Gujarat yet to relocate quake victims Monday, April 9, 2001

GANDHINAGAR, APRIL 8. After remaining indecisive for the last 70 days, the Gujarat government has now decided to remove all the debris in the four worst earthquake-hit towns in Kutch district without taking a decision on shifting of the population.
Indicating the State Government's shift in its stand on the re- location of Bhuj, Bhachau, Anjar and Rapar towns, the Minister for Roads and Building, Mr. Nitin Patel, said here on Saturday that the government had decided to float tenders soon for the removal of debris through private contractors irrespective of whether or not the affected people of the towns were to be shifted to a new location.

The State Government had earlier taken the stand that if the people agreed to shift to a new location, the debris of the houses which collapsed in the Republic Day earthquake would be allowed to remain at the devastated sites.

The stand was taken at the advice of a section of the bureaucracy who believed that the removal of several million tonnes of debris would be both time-consuming and a costly affair and that this could be utilised for the construction of houses and other facilities at the new locations.

Besides the removal of debris could also create the problem of dumping.

But within minutes of Mr. Patel claiming that the people in all the four worst-hit towns were unwilling to shift to new locations, the people of Anjar called the government's bluff. ``The government is lying if it says that we are unwilling to shift,'' said Mr. Maojibhai Sorathiya, a BJP member of the Anjar municipality who was leading a delegation of ``Group 2001'' to call on the Chief Minister, Mr. Keshubhai Patel.

In fact, the Chief Minister himself had admitted earlier that the people of Anjar wanted to shift while the people of Rapar were keen to resettle at the same site and there were divided opinions on the crucial issue between the people of Bhuj and Bhachau.

The ``Group 2001'' formed by leading citizens of Anjar to protest against the State Government's inaction to solve the problems of the roofless people, has launched a ``long march'' from the Surajbari bridge, the getaway to Kutch district, on Friday.

While the ``padyatra'' reached Halvad town and hope to reach the State Capital after about a week, a five-member delegation of the Group was here at the invitation of the Chief Minister to discuss the issues.

The meeting with the Chief Minister, however, could not take place as Mr. Patel was away in Bhavnagar on an official trip. Mr. Sorathiya said a fresh appointment being worked out in next few days to meet the Chief Minister.

Mr. Sorathiya claimed that the people of Anjar had ``unanimously'' decided to shift to new location but the land for resettlement must be selected by scientists and seismologists.

Reminding that the old Anjar town had experienced a similar devastating earthquake in 1956 also, Mr. Sorathiya said in its memorandum submitted to the Chief Minister on March 16, the ``people of Anjar made it clear that we do not want to see another earthquake'' and was willing to move to a safer location selected by the scientists and seismologists.

``It is a blatant lie that Anjar has refused to shift,'' Mr. Sorathiya, Mr. Jaysheel Sitapara and Mr. Tanmay Bannerjee, all members of the delegation, said emphatically. Mr. Sorathiya said the ``padyatris'' would be camping in Gandhinagar till the government took a decision on the resettlement package.

``If we fail to move the Gujarat government, we will walk down to Delhi to represent our case before the Prime Minister, Mr. Atal Behari Vajpayee,'' they said.

Even while claiming that the government would take a decision on the re-location of the four affected towns ``taking into consideration the sentiments of the local people'', Mr. Nitin Patel said the government had decided to go ahead with the removal of the debris and had identified locations for dumping.

The tenders for the removal of debris would be floated soon so that the work could be completed by June 15 before the onset of monsoon.

He estimated that about 50 lakh tonnes of debris, including 24 lakh tonnes in Bhachau, 19 lakh tonnes in Bhuj, 3.5 lakh tonnes in Anjar and about two lakh tonnes in Rapar town would have to be cleared costing the State Government about Rs. 20 crores at the estimated rate of Rs. 40 per tonne.

In the rural areas, however, the removal of debris was being taken up as a relief work as a special case and the people engaged in it would be paid Rs. 40 per day. The BJP ``kar sevaks'' were also contributing in the removal of debris free of cost, he claimed.

He claimed that nearly nine lakh tonnes of debris had already been removed by the Public Works Department of the State Government from the four towns by clearing open the streets and bylanes in the affected areas to enable the survivors to reach their houses and salvage their belongings wherever possible.

Mr. Patel also claimed that the people in the four towns would be provided with ``temporary shelters'' with each house costing about Rs. 12,000.

He said the work would be taken up expeditiously in the next few days to keep the dwelling units ready before the monsoon.

Voice your opinion on this story Generate printer friendly page Send this page to your friend

Gujarat yet to relocate quake victims Monday, April 9, 2001

GANDHINAGAR, APRIL 8. After remaining indecisive for the last 70 days, the Gujarat government has now decided to remove all the debris in the four worst earthquake-hit towns in Kutch district without taking a decision on shifting of the population.
Indicating the State Government's shift in its stand on the re- location of Bhuj, Bhachau, Anjar and Rapar towns, the Minister for Roads and Building, Mr. Nitin Patel, said here on Saturday that the government had decided to float tenders soon for the removal of debris through private contractors irrespective of whether or not the affected people of the towns were to be shifted to a new location.

The State Government had earlier taken the stand that if the people agreed to shift to a new location, the debris of the houses which collapsed in the Republic Day earthquake would be allowed to remain at the devastated sites.

The stand was taken at the advice of a section of the bureaucracy who believed that the removal of several million tonnes of debris would be both time-consuming and a costly affair and that this could be utilised for the construction of houses and other facilities at the new locations.

Besides the removal of debris could also create the problem of dumping.

But within minutes of Mr. Patel claiming that the people in all the four worst-hit towns were unwilling to shift to new locations, the people of Anjar called the government's bluff. ``The government is lying if it says that we are unwilling to shift,'' said Mr. Maojibhai Sorathiya, a BJP member of the Anjar municipality who was leading a delegation of ``Group 2001'' to call on the Chief Minister, Mr. Keshubhai Patel.

In fact, the Chief Minister himself had admitted earlier that the people of Anjar wanted to shift while the people of Rapar were keen to resettle at the same site and there were divided opinions on the crucial issue between the people of Bhuj and Bhachau.

The ``Group 2001'' formed by leading citizens of Anjar to protest against the State Government's inaction to solve the problems of the roofless people, has launched a ``long march'' from the Surajbari bridge, the getaway to Kutch district, on Friday.

While the ``padyatra'' reached Halvad town and hope to reach the State Capital after about a week, a five-member delegation of the Group was here at the invitation of the Chief Minister to discuss the issues.

The meeting with the Chief Minister, however, could not take place as Mr. Patel was away in Bhavnagar on an official trip. Mr. Sorathiya said a fresh appointment being worked out in next few days to meet the Chief Minister.

Mr. Sorathiya claimed that the people of Anjar had ``unanimously'' decided to shift to new location but the land for resettlement must be selected by scientists and seismologists.

Reminding that the old Anjar town had experienced a similar devastating earthquake in 1956 also, Mr. Sorathiya said in its memorandum submitted to the Chief Minister on March 16, the ``people of Anjar made it clear that we do not want to see another earthquake'' and was willing to move to a safer location selected by the scientists and seismologists.

``It is a blatant lie that Anjar has refused to shift,'' Mr. Sorathiya, Mr. Jaysheel Sitapara and Mr. Tanmay Bannerjee, all members of the delegation, said emphatically. Mr. Sorathiya said the ``padyatris'' would be camping in Gandhinagar till the government took a decision on the resettlement package.

``If we fail to move the Gujarat government, we will walk down to Delhi to represent our case before the Prime Minister, Mr. Atal Behari Vajpayee,'' they said.

Even while claiming that the government would take a decision on the re-location of the four affected towns ``taking into consideration the sentiments of the local people'', Mr. Nitin Patel said the government had decided to go ahead with the removal of the debris and had identified locations for dumping.

The tenders for the removal of debris would be floated soon so that the work could be completed by June 15 before the onset of monsoon.

He estimated that about 50 lakh tonnes of debris, including 24 lakh tonnes in Bhachau, 19 lakh tonnes in Bhuj, 3.5 lakh tonnes in Anjar and about two lakh tonnes in Rapar town would have to be cleared costing the State Government about Rs. 20 crores at the estimated rate of Rs. 40 per tonne.

In the rural areas, however, the removal of debris was being taken up as a relief work as a special case and the people engaged in it would be paid Rs. 40 per day. The BJP ``kar sevaks'' were also contributing in the removal of debris free of cost, he claimed.

He claimed that nearly nine lakh tonnes of debris had already been removed by the Public Works Department of the State Government from the four towns by clearing open the streets and bylanes in the affected areas to enable the survivors to reach their houses and salvage their belongings wherever possible.

Mr. Patel also claimed that the people in the four towns would be provided with ``temporary shelters'' with each house costing about Rs. 12,000.

He said the work would be taken up expeditiously in the next few days to keep the dwelling units ready before the monsoon.

Voice your opinion on this story Generate printer friendly page Send this page to your friend

Prospects of avoiding liquidation seems remote Monday, April 9, 2001

AHMEDABAD: With the state government, the RBI and Gujarat State Urban Cooperative Banks Federation passing the buck on each other on the revival package, the fate of the Madhavpura Mercantile Cooperative Bank hangs in balance after almost one month of appointment of an administrator in the bank. With over Rs 1000 crore lost forever in Dalal Street, no private party or combination of parties can think of taking over MMCB and turning it around. Madhavpura may have kicked up quite a dust as it collapsed, being the second largest co-operative bank in the state, but financial markets of Gujarat are strewn with epitaphs of several such banks, many of whom went down without a whimper.
Voice your opinion on this story Generate printer friendly page Send this page to your friend

Govt to encourage captive power plants Sunday, April 8, 2001

RAJKOT: Gujarat Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel on Saturday asserted that the state government would assist private industrialists for installation of captive power plants.

Releasing Narmada water in the city, Patel said that the government would grant permission to set up captive power plants to ease the ongoing power crisis, provided a large group of industrialists come forward with the proposal for power generation.

For the basic needs of overall development and prosperity, the government has made all endeavours to provide adequate water from Narmada river within a year, he said.

The Chief Minister also assured that 50 lakh gallons of water from Narmada would be supplied to the city every day against the demand of 165 lakh gallons.

He said the government has chalked out an ambitious project for supply of water from Narmada to Rajkot, Jamnagar and Kutch districts. For the Rs 1186 crore project, tenders have already been issued. By the end of 2002, the entire Saurashtra and Kutch regions would get excess water for drinking and irrigation purpose, Patel added.

Voice your opinion on this story Generate printer friendly page Send this page to your friend

BORSAD :::: Curfew continues in Borsad Sunday, April 8, 2001

AHMEDABAD: Curfew in Borsad town of Anand district, imposed on April 5 following group clashes, continued on the third day on Saturday, police said here.

The decision to continue the curfew was taken as tense situation prevailed, police said.

Twenty-eight people were arrested in connection with rioting and group clash in Borsad following police firing which killed a youth and two others injured.

Trouble had sparked off over a verbal dual between two groups during muharram procession on April 5, police added.

Voice your opinion on this story Generate printer friendly page Send this page to your friend

Gujarat | Pharmacy SEO | Copyright 2000-2006
 A eZee Web Solutions Presentation !

E-mail - webmaster@cybervapi.com
GSM - 9825130401