1 cup semolina (not too fine)
3-4 cashews broken
1 tsp. udad (black) dal
1/2 tsp. each cumin and mustard seeds
1 stalk curry leaves
1 tsp. coriander chopped
3 green chillies chopped
1 onion chopped coarsely
2 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. ghee
1 tsp. lemon juice
salt to taste
2-3 cups boiling water
few tomato slices
- Heat oil in a heavy pan.
- Add the cashew, seeds, dal and
fry on low till light golden.
- Add the green chillies, curry
leaves and onions. Stir and saute till the onions are pink.
- Add the the semolina and stir
continuously till the semolina gives out a nice aroma.
- Takes about 7-8 minutes to roast
the semolina on low.
- Add the salt and stir. Carefully
pour in 2 cups boiling water and stir well.
- Use a long handled ladle for
stirring to keep away from the spluttering.
- If it feels too dry , add more
water and stir. Keep on low and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ghee, lemon juice and
coriander and mix well.
- Mould into a greased cup and
unmould onto serving plate.
- Decorate with tomato slices.
- Serve hot with steaming coffee
- Can accompany with green chutney
Making time: 20 minutes
Makes for: 2 cups
Variation: Add some grated carrot
or peas along with the onions if you are a veggie buff.