15-20 large patra leaves (colocasia
1/2 cup tamarind extract (juice)
1 cup gramflour (besan)
3 tsp. chilli powder
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
3-4 pinches asafoetida
1 tsp. crushed cumin seeds
3 tsp. powdered sugar
1 tbsp. oil
salt to taste
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. each cumin & mustard seeds
1 tsp. sesame seeds
1 tsbp. coriander leaves finely chopped
1 tbsp. coconut grated fine
- Clean, wash and wipe leaves. Cut
thick veins with a pair of scissors.
- Roll lightly with a rolling pin.
- Mix all ingredients (not those
- The mixture should be a thick
- Place a leaf backside up on a
- Take a little paste and apply
thinly all over leaf surface.
- Place another leaf over it.
- Get a set of 3-4 layered leaves,
top layer being that of paste.
- Fold in the edges and roll the
leaves, starting with their base towards tip.
- Make the roll tight and seal
sides with some paste.
- Place in the perforated vessel
of a double boiler or steam cooker.
- Repeat for all the leaves and
- Steam in the cooker for 30-40
minutes till cooked.
- Cool, and remove. Cut into
1/2" thick slices.
- When cooled well, season as
- Heat oil, add seeds, allow to
- Add sesame, coriander, and
- Check and adjust, salt, chilli
and sugar as desired.
- Mix well, serve hot or cold.
time: 30 minutes (excluding steaming time)
Makes: 20-25 patras
Shelflife: Seasoned 1 day
Deep Fried 2-3 days
The patras may also be deep fried if desired