1 cup ordinary rice
1 cup parboiled rice
2 tbsp. oil
salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice together
- Grind together to a fine paste.
- Keep aside for 5-6 hours.
- Put into idli moulds and steam
- Use skewer test.
- Grease a sev press. Place warm
idli in it and press.
- Press out sev in a 4"
circle. See that ends overlap.
- Allow to cool a bit. Use greased
palms and lift.
- Place in a double walled
colander or steamer to keep warm.
- Serve hot with ghee and chutney,
garnished with coconut and coriander.
- Top with powdered sugar and ghee
- Cool, break unevenly. Heat oil
in a pan, add finely chopped chillies and onions, fry till
tender, add sev, salt, lemon juice, coriander, grated coconut,
and mix. Serve warm or cold.
- Sun dry the idiappams till dry
and crisp. Store and fry or steam when desired.
- Will keep for a few weeks in dry
time: 1 hour excluding soaking and grinding time.
Makes: 18-20 idiappams.
Shelflife: Idlis can be
refrigerated and resteamed the next day. Dry form 2-3 weeks.