1 semolina (rava)
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups water
5 pistas slivered
5 almonds slivered
1/4 tsp. cardamom powder
2 pinches saffron, soaked in 1 tbsp. warm milk
few drops yellow colour (optional)
3 tbsp. ghee
- Heat ghee in a large heavy pan,
- Stir and roast on low for 7-8
minutes or till aroma exudes.
- Side by side, put water to boil,
add sugar, bring to a boil.
- Add boiling water to the rava,
little at a time stirring continuously.
- Take care to protect hands from
- When well mixed, check rava
grain between fingers and taste for sweetness.
- Adjust sweetness, and add more
boiling water if grain is hard.
- Add the remaining ingredients,
cover and simmer till ghee separates.
- Save a small amount of almonds
and pistas for garnishing.
- Add colour if desired and mix
- Grease a katori or steel cup.
Press hot bhath inside it, and unmould onto a plate.
- garnish with a few slivers of
almonds and pistas, serve hot.
time: 25 minutes
Makes: 3 servings
Shelflife: Dry roasting may
be done a few hours ahead.