4 cups urad dal
1 cup ordinary rice
1 tsp. ginger grated
1 tbsp. coconut grated coarsely
8-10 whole pepper corns
1 tsp. cumin seeds
salt to taste
oil to deep fry
- Wash and soak dal and rice
together in plenty of water overnight.
- Drain, grind to a soft batter, a
fine grain should be felt in it.
- Do not make the batter thin. It
should be thick enough to shape vadas.
- Add all ingredients and beat
well with hand to incorporate air.
- Heat oil, wet palm and take an
idli sized lump on fingers palm side up.
- Make a hole in the middle with
- Slip gently into hot oil, repeat
- Or use a medhu vada press.
- Fry 5-6 at a time on medium
- Drain, serve hot with chutney
and sambar, or accompany with idli.
time: 1 hour (excluding soaking & grinding time)
Makes: 35-40 vadas.
Shelflife: To store batter
for 2 days, refrigerate without adding any other ingredients.
Add just before making, and continue as above.