For rava idli:
2 1/2 cups medium semolina
2-3 stalks curry leaves finely chopped
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. urad dal
1/2 tsp. channa dal
8-10 cashews broken into pieces
4 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. soda bicarb
2 tsp. salt
2-3 tbsp. coriander leaves finely chopped
1 tbsp. finely grated fresh coconut
2 cups fresh curds
2 large onions chopped medium
2 potatoes peeled, chopped and boiled
2-3 green chillies
2 tbsp. coriander leaves
1 tbsp. curry leaves finely chopped
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. fresh grated coconut
1/2 tsp. each ginger & garlic grated
1/2 tsp. each mustard & cumin seeds
1 tbsp. cashew bits
- Heat 2 tsps. oil in a small pan,
add seeds, cashews and fry till light brown.
- Remove from fire, keep aside.
- Take semolina in a large plate
- Make a well in the centre.
- Pour remaining oil here, add all
other ingredients, except coconut, curds and coriander.
- Pour also seasoning of seeds and
- Mix gently with hands till
mixture is well blended.
- The mixture should have enough
oil to show on your fingers after mixing.
- If too dry add some more. Keep
aside till required.
10 minutes before
- Beat curds lightly, add rava
mixture, coriander and coconut and mix gently.
- Keep aside for 5-7 minutes. If
too dry add some more curds.
- DO NOT make the mixture too
thin, and DO NOT beat too vigorously.
- When spooned into the moulds, it
should hold with spreading fast.
- Steam in an idli cooker for 5-7
- Check by inserting a skewer or
- It should come out clean.
- Blend together, 1 onion,
chillies, 1/2 coriander, 4-5 pieces potato, 3 tbsp. water.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan, add
cashew, dals, and fry for a minute.
- Add seeds, asafoetida and allow
to splutter. Add garlic & ginger
- Add onions, stir fry till pink
- Add ground paste, potatoes and 2
- Bring to a boil, simmer for 5-7
minutes till the gravy becomes thick.
- Add turmeric, salt, sugar,
coriander, curry leaves, lemon juice, coconut, and stir.
- Simmer further 2 minutes. Remove
- Serve hot with rava idlis and
time: for idlis: 30 minutes. for sagoo: 30 minutes.
Makes:15-17 ildis, 4-5
servings of sagoo
life: dry rava mixture may be stored at room
temperature for a week in refrigerator for a month. Make sure
curry leaves are wiped dry before adding. Sagoo, fresh or
refrigerated 1 day. Potatoes may be boiled ahead of time.