and Mushrooms in Barbecue Sauce
- 1 kg chicken (cut into smallish
- 250 gms fresh mushrooms
- 2 onions (crushed)
- 30 medium cloves of garlic
- 2 sp. black pepper powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp. tomato puree
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp. cornflour
- 2 tbsp. red pepper sauce
- 2 tbsp. soya sauce
- 1 sp. worchesterchire sauce
- Lightly coat the pan with oil
and put the chicken and mushrooms to cook (either grill or
broil, as you like).
- Start on the sauce while it
cooks. The chicken has to be 3/4 cooked before adding the
- Fry the onion in a little oil,
till light brown.
- Stir together the brown sugar,
corn syrup, cornflour and chilli powder, and then add to the
- Add 1/2 cup of water and blend
- Add the rest of the ingredients,
except for the orange juice.
- Simmer on a low flame, without
covering, for 30 mins. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the orange juice now and
- Once the sauce is to the
consistancy you desire, you can now pour it over the chicken
and mushrooms in the last quarter of the cooking time, and mix
it well so that it covers every part of the chicken.
- If the sauce is excess, it can
be served as it is, for individual helpings.
- This dish is a lot tastier if it
is eaten the day after it is prepared, giving it time to soak
in the flavour.